At one of my prior jobs, I saw a puppy on emergency that presented for sudden onset of salivation, vomiting, and mild tremors. He had been outside in the yard for about an hour prior to onset of symptoms. The owners were questioned about possible exposure to toxins, and they noted that due to recent rains, a large crop of mushrooms had sprouted in the yard. I induced vomiting, and the puppy brought up a large amount of grass, dirt, and some unidentifiable brown chunks. I dug through the vomit (a favorite veterinary pastime) and pieced together some mushrooms from the remnants. A few minutes after vomiting, the salivation and tremors resolved.
Toby (aka Toby Tobes, Toblerone, and little tobski) enjoys playing, meowing at hummingbirds, chasing his sister Cleo around, and cat crazies. He is very loving and always greets his owners and follows them around talking. He also likes to make sure Cleo’s head is clean and gives her extra kisses. Toby is an early riser (between 3:00 am – 4:00 am) and likes to let everyone know that he is awake! He knows where the toys are hidden and tries to get at them any hour of the day.
The busiest day of the year for intake of animals to shelters is usually July 5th. This is because many pets get frightened of the sound of fireworks and run away. Fireworks can also cause injuries to pets including hearing loss, cuts, abrasions, contusions, and even poisonings if ingested. Although you can’t call 9-1-1 for your pets, many veterinary emergency hospitals are open 24 hours a day and available for phone questions and to help in an emergency.
Riley’s Life Saved Through Advanced Treatment Therapy at ACCES. Riley, a seven-year old male Boxer, was brought to ACCES for advanced diagnostics after several days of vomiting and loss of appetite. Tests showed he was in acute kidney failure. A number of standard treatment options were attempted with no significant improvement, so it was determined that hemodialysis was the best course of action to help save Riley’s life.
Sadie, aka Sadie Sue, is an adorable white boxer with floppy ears and black spots. She enjoys hiking, running, playing on Bainbridge Island trails with her “sister” Cecilia, and eating people food. She is a true lap dog although she doesn't realize that she is too big to be one. Sadie is loyal and appreciative but can’t resist stealing stuffed animals and tearing them apart! Sadie Sue was a rescue dog that shows her appreciation by making her owners laugh and smile every day. Her mom volunteers at shelters and helps place many homeless dogs with loving families.
Joolz is a Cinnamon Toast Crunch colored Pit Bull who likes to eat. She is an extreme cuddler who also likes to lie on her brother, swim, destroy toys, and, again, eat. She will do anything for a treat. She has a few bad habits but makes up for them by donating blood to save the lives of dogs in need. Her mom and dad think she is special and so do we!
Many owners ask me after a serious trauma whether it makes sense to put their pet through a large surgery or several days of intensive critical care or whether it wouldn’t be kinder to just put them down. Especially when the radiographs show severe fractures, there is the question of long-term quality of life. I think what has impressed me most over my 18 years as an emergency and critical care veterinarian is the ability of animals to heal. A following case is a good example.
Jumping a fence to wrangle a litter of unsocialized backyard puppies is not a normal “day in the life” of an urban ER veterinarian. But on a warm January day in Peridot, Arizona, that is where I found myself, aided by the vet student in the pen with me, the local Animal Control officer outside the pen, and, to a much lesser degree, the lady of the house. We were working that day as an HSVMA-RAVS (Rural Area Veterinary Services www.ruralareavet.org) community outreach team for the San Carlos Apache Nation, a small part of an impressive, ongoing, public health program on that reservation.
A blue heeler puppy, hung limply in her owner’s arms, panting heavily. On exam, she had pale gums, was working hard to breathe and had quiet lung sounds. A quick ultrasound showed free fluid in her chest and abdomen. Blood work showed a severe anemia (low red blood cells). These signs, in a young dog, are most consistent with ingestion of rat bait causing severe internal bleeding. We placed an IV catheter and started transfusing packed red blood cells and plasma.
Bailey, a four-year-old Shiba Inu, was brought to her family veterinarian on January 12, 2014 after being hit by a car. Her family veterinarian recommended she be transferred to ACCES’ 24-hour critical care and emergency facility for care.