Vita is a black and tan German Shepherd who decided to donate after her sister was hospitalized at ACCES. Vita likes to be a good ambassador for her breed, and German Shepherds make some of the best blood donors because of their size, temperament, and they tend to be the universal blood type. Vita spends her free time doing agility, going for hikes, playing in the snow if she can and chasing the ball. Although she admits to no bad habits, her mom will tell you that she does have a propensity for chasing cats.
One of the scariest things that could happen to your pet is if they suddenly can’t stand or won’t get up. Especially if you have a large dog, it can be frightening and exhausting to figure out even how to get them to the veterinarian.
There are lots of reasons your pet might not get up that range from painful but not life threatening to extremely urgent. As an emergency and critical care veterinarian, I have seen a lot of different reasons for this presentation.
Today, February 26, 2013 is World Spay Day. If you have recently adopted or purchased a puppy or kitten, you need to consider this important procedure to help protect your pet as well as prevent unwanted litters. This procedure can be performed quickly, easily, safely and economically thanks to the many organizations supporting World Spay Day.
The benefits to spaying (removing the uterus and ovaries) or neutering (removing the testicles) of your pet are many:
What does “healthy aging” mean for your pet? Is it the same as for you? Basically, the answer is yes, with one glaring difference. Your pet cannot be trusted to tell you when something is starting to go wrong.
There are nights in the ER where I take a moment to reflect upon the phase of the moon. This usually occurs when I have every exam room full of potential patients and multiple critical animals being carried into the ICU on stretchers hemorrhaging, seizuring, or gasping for breath. Every emergency doctor, human or veterinary, cannot shake the conviction that a full moon coincides with a full, and often crazy, emergency room.
Ethylene glycol, the main ingredient in antifreeze, has long been known to be toxic to household pets. Exposure is usually from puddles under a leaking car or a container in the garage that has been spilled or chewed up by a pet. The minimum lethal dose is only around 2.5 tablespoons for a 20 lb dog or just one teaspoon in a seven-pound cat. The toxic component is not the ethylene glycol itself, but rather the metabolites that form when it is broken down by the liver.
Quite a few years ago, I evaluated a one year old schnauzer for an acute onset of vomiting and diarrhea. He had no known medical problems and had not eaten anything unusual that could have caused his symptoms. The owner allowed me to do a complete workup, including x-rays and bloodwork.