Bella Saved through the Gifts of Four Greyhound Donors. Bella, a four-year-old Siberian Husky, presented to ACCES Renton for not eating. She had been prescribed an anti-inflammatory pain medication following a knee injury. Bella was in shock at presentation. An abdominal ultrasound showed fluid in her abdomen and analysis of the fluid was very concerning for a leak in her intestinal tract. She was taken to emergency surgery and a large leaking ulcer was found in her pylorus (the lowest part of the stomach) and this was repaired.
Brianna Backlund, DVM, DACVIM and C. Alan Schreiner, DVM DACVIM
Monday, November 24, 2014
As the holiday season approaches, thoughts of pumpkin pies, gingerbread houses and sugar plum fairies occupy a lot of our free time. I’ve heard many people joke about going into a diabetic coma after taking in too much sugar. You may not realize that, although it’s not quite as straightforward as that, our canine and feline family members too can have serious consequences from an imbalance in blood sugar levels.
It’s that time of year when all of us start seeing more mushrooms around. The combination of sun, rain, and increased organic material on the ground is perfect for fungal growth. Mushroom hunters love the Pacific Northwest but the conditions that make for amazing edible chanterelles, also lead to more of the poisonous variety as well. Often the poisonous ones are nondescript and can resemble edible varieties. The Washington Poison Center just put out a seasonal alert for people and our dogs also need to watch what they eat. http://www.wapc.org/mushrooms-seasonal-health-alert
Teagan “Wigglebottom” McGinley is the housemate of Aidnah and is also a black domestic shorthair kitty. Teagan enjoys wrestling with her sister and eating cat nip. She has a big purr and wags her tail when she is happy, like a puppy. Her favorite food is Whisker Lickin treats. Teagan makes everyone smile with her smile. She donates blood because all kitties should be safe and happy for as long as possible!
You have come home from work and walk in the door. Suddenly it occurs to you that your dog has not come to the door to greet you as usual. Even after you have called for her, she hasn't come around. With growing concern you begin walking around the house looking for her-first the living room, then the bedroom, then the den. To no avail you walk right into the kitchen and there you see it: the disaster scene.
Little pieces of wrapper are lying all over the floor. The silver packaging reflects the overhead light as you look at your dog and ask, "What happened?
By Beth Guerra, DVM and Beth Davidow, DVM, DACVECC
Reposted Tuesday, October 21, 2014
On a weekly basis, we see middle aged to older cats for a variety of vague symptoms, including lethargy, weight loss, and decreased appetite. Vomiting, diarrhea, or increased thirst and urination may be added to the list. Since our feline friends cannot communicate in our language, it is important to obtain a careful history and also pursue diagnostics, such as bloodwork, x-ray, or ultrasound, to rule out disease processes. We would like to address two common “older cat” diseases that we routinely diagnose on an ER visit.
“Walk Your Dog Week” was started in 2010 to highlight the benefits of walking for you AND your best friend. Even small dogs need to be active to stay mentally and physically healthy. While exercise is not a replacement for training, allowing your dog to have a healthy expression for their natural energy can help with many behavior problems such as aggression, separation anxiety, destructive behaviors and barking. Dogs are creative, inquisitive, social creatures with a genetic history that programs them to roam and sniff. Many dogs are confined to a small yard or crate during the day and rarely if ever leave their property. This does not allow them any mental or physical stimulation, or social interaction. No wonder the dig up your plants or chew your shoes. Can you imagine how boring this kind of confinement would be for you?
Rigby is a female boxer/pitty mix owned by one of our staff members at ACCES Renton. Riggerbees – one of her many cute nicknames – enjoys steak and potatoes and rolling in the grass. She is cute and silly but also stubborn like her human father. Adopted from the mean streets of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, she donates blood to give back and help save lives, oh and the free toys of course!
At one of my prior jobs, I saw a puppy on emergency that presented for sudden onset of salivation, vomiting, and mild tremors. He had been outside in the yard for about an hour prior to onset of symptoms. The owners were questioned about possible exposure to toxins, and they noted that due to recent rains, a large crop of mushrooms had sprouted in the yard. I induced vomiting, and the puppy brought up a large amount of grass, dirt, and some unidentifiable brown chunks. I dug through the vomit (a favorite veterinary pastime) and pieced together some mushrooms from the remnants. A few minutes after vomiting, the salivation and tremors resolved.
The busiest day of the year for intake of animals to shelters is usually July 5th. This is because many pets get frightened of the sound of fireworks and run away. Fireworks can also cause injuries to pets including hearing loss, cuts, abrasions, contusions, and even poisonings if ingested. Although you can’t call 9-1-1 for your pets, many veterinary emergency hospitals are open 24 hours a day and available for phone questions and to help in an emergency.