Strider Takes a Chance On a New Future.Strider, a 12-year-old tabby cat, presented to ACCES Seattle for a consultation following a right forelimb thrombus (blood clot). Strider had previously been diagnosed with heart disease and kidney issues. Additionally, his right front leg was now very damaged due to the clot and amputation was seen as the only option. Due to his other disease processes, he was a very risky surgical candidate but his mom felt his quality of life was still good and she was not ready to give up on him.
Divot Gets the Extra Support She Needs.Divot, a 10-year-old Rat Terrier, transferred to ACCES Seattle for treatment, including a blood transfusion, for suspected Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (IMHA). IMHA is a disease in which the body’s immune system begins attacking and destroying its own red blood cells. Divot had become increasingly lethargic, was refusing to go on walks, exhibited a declining appetite and had become severely anemic.
Sunny Gets A Little Help from Some Friends.Sunny is a five-year-old cat that had been losing weight for a month and had stopped eating for nearly 24 hours. His primary veterinarian discovered elevated liver enzymes along with a low-grade anemia and transferred Sunny to ACCES Renton for further care. An abdominal ultrasound was performed which showed an enlarged liver. (The liver plays a significant role in blood clotting.) To confirm his diagnosis, a needle would need to be inserted into Sunny’s liver to collect a sample to send to the pathologist.
Payton Ate a Little More than She Bargained For. Payton, an 11-year-old Labrador Retriever transferred to ACCES Renton for evaluation of progressive anemia. It was noted that she had previously gotten into a large container of dried onions. Lab work revealed Heinz bodies and eccentrocytes in her red blood cells, which reflected damage to her hemoglobin. (Hemoglobin is the protein in red blood cells that transports oxygen.) This damage can be caused by onion toxicity. ASPCA Poison control was contacted and a blood transfusion was recommended.
Hollis Saved Through the Gifts of Four Donors. Hollis, a 13-year-old domestic shorthair tabby cat, presented to ACCES Seattle for evaluation of a severely swollen right hind leg, lethargy, and bleeding. Blood work at ACCES revealed that he could not clot his blood, he was anemic and the leg swelling was suspected to be localized bleeding. These signs were suspicious for rodenticide poisoning, so Hollis was started on the antidote, vitamin K.
Tela Has a Close Call with Rodenticide. Tela, a seven-year-old Retriever mix, was seen at her primary care veterinarian for suspected exposure to rodenticide and referred directly to ACCES Seattle for further care. When Tela arrived, she was unable to walk and neurologically compromised.
Homeless Cat Gets a Second Chance. A homeless cat was brought to ACCES Seattle for a surgical consult to evaluate him for unknown trauma to his head. Found injured, he was originally taken to Regional Animal Service of King County (RASKC) for care. (His right eye was severely injured and he was unable to close his mouth.) The ACCES surgeon determined his hard palate was split and his right eye needed to be removed. Fortunately, there were no jaw fractures. Blood work also revealed anemia, which was likely due to blood loss from the trauma from his injuries.
Teddy Benefits From Advanced Diagnostics. Teddy is a 14-year-old Dachshund who was transferred to ACCES after being treated for vomiting, dark, tarry stools, and anemia for several days at his primary care veterinarian. Upon presentation to ACCES Renton, Teddy’s gums were profoundly pale and he had an increased heart rate. Teddy was admitted to the ICU for packed red blood cell transfusion from donor Bernie and for further work up.
Sweet Pea’s Close Call with String. Sweet Pea, a one-year-old domestic shorthair cat, transferred to ACCES Renton for monitoring following her surgery for a string foreign body. She had required six incisions into her intestine to remove the foreign material, but unfortunately the intestine was very badly injured from the string and did not heal properly. A second surgery was required two days later to remove the section of intestine that was leaking.
The New Year is approaching next week, and with it come the inevitable resolutions. While you are making your own list, consider making one for your pet as well. Whether it’s as simple as learning to trim your pets nails, or focusing on finally getting that extra weight off your beloved companion, remember that you are your pet’s advocate and change starts with you.